The southern version of the egg roll! A deep fried egg roll stuffed with crispy browned sausage & onions, sweet potatoes, fresh jalapeños, and tangy cheddar cheese. Served with a cool sour cream dip. Now that’s a southern egg roll!
Southern Style Egg Rolls
- In a mixing bowl, blend together the cooked and drained sausage with the diced onion.
- Add in half the diced jalapeño peppers and sweet potatoes, salt, and black pepper. Mix well.
- Using your hands, gather a few tablespoons of the sausage mixture and “wrap” around each stick of the cheese. Add more mixture to create a “cocoon” for the cheese, sealing it inside the sausage and sweet potato mixture. Repeat until all cheese sticks are covered.
- To assemble egg rolls, work with one wrapper at a time: Lay wrapper out on a flat work surface with one corner pointing toward you. Place one of the sausage-sweet potato-cheese sticks in the center. Fold two outer corners up over the cheese to meet at the top. Fold the back corner up over the center and “roll”, using a dab of water to seal together. Note: Most egg roll packages have a great “how-to” on rolling…good diagrams.
- While you are making egg rolls, heat the oil in the fryer to 350 degrees.
- Fry a couple of the egg rolls at a time, shaking the basket every now and then. Fry until golden brown and crunchy. Drain on paper towels as you cook. Takes about 30 minutes, plus cooking sweet potatoes.
You can also bake the egg rolls. Turn oven to 350 degrees. Lay finished egg rolls out on a sheet pan lightly sprayed with cooking spray and bake for about 20 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
1/2 lb Swaggerty’s Farm Sausage, browned, crumbled and drained
2 tablespoons diced onion
1/4 cup small diced fresh jalapeño pepper, divided
2 or 3 sweet potatoes baked or 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
4 Cheddar cheese sticks, each one cut in half to make a stick about 3 inches long
1 package Egg Roll Wrappers - you will need 8 to 10
Oil for fryer or skillet
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For serving: sour cream and your favorite salsa