Layered Sausage & Veggie Salad
- Prepare corn bread mix according to package directions. Let cool to room temperature. Cut into wedges to cool faster.
- Sauté Swaggerty's Farm sausage over medium heat until browned. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Shred one head of lettuce. Set aside.
- Drain and rinse cans of beans.
- Mix together the bottled salad dressing and sour cream.
- Assemble salad layer ingredients from the bottom up in this order for a beautiful and delicious salad: 1/3 of the cornbread crumbled in the bottom of the bowl 1/2 of the chopped red bell peppers 1/2 of the green onions 1/2 of the shredded lettuce 1/3 of the dressing mix 1/2 of the black beans and 1/2 of the white beans 1/2 of the corn 1/2 of the cooked Swaggerty's Farm sausage 1/3 of the dressing Repeat layering until all ingredients are used ending with sausage on top.
- Place tomato halves around the top of the finished salad in a circle and scatter some salt & black pepper over the top as well as some additional green onions if desired. Cover with plastic wrap and chill or serve immediately.
This salad is looks great in a footed glass bowl if you have one or any clear glass bowl so all the yummy healthy ingredients can be seen. Can be made ahead and chilled until ready to serve. A great "pot luck" or summer party dish.
Make ahead and chill or serve immediately.
8 - 10
1 lb Swaggerty's Farm roll sausage
1 pkg of your favorite corn bread mix
1 cup chopped red bell peppers
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 head romaine or iceberg lettuce
1 can each black beans and white kidney beans (you can use any of your favorite beans)
1 cup fresh corn cut off the cob or frozen corn thawed
1/2 cup of bottled caeser dressing or ranch dressing
1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
Level of complexity:
Number of ingredients:
Pairs well with:
Iced tea, lemonade, chilled white wine
Special Kitchen Tools: