A delicious, healthier Italian dinner idea. Classic ingredients like mozzarella & ricotta cheese, onions & garlic, spinach & collard greens, sausage meatballs and tomato sauce baked over spaghetti squash until hot & bubbly.
Spaghetti Squash Casserole with Sausage Meatballs
- Working with half of spaghetti squash at a time, place cut side down on a microwave safe plate. Microwave uncovered for about 7-10 minutes. Use a fork to test to see if “spaghetti squash” strands pull away from shell easily. If not then microwave for a few more minutes. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- In a bowl mix the ground sausage with the salt, fennel seeds, ground coriander, fresh basil and oregano. Form into 1.5 inch meatballs. Brown meatballs in a large, deep skillet over medium heat until browned. Remove to drain on paper towels.
- Wipe skillet clean with paper towels and add olive oil. Turn heat to medium and add onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes just until onions start to turn translucent.
- Add in collard greens and spinach. Stir for a few minutes until greens begin to wilt.
- Stir and fold in ricotta cheese until well blended with other ingredients. Remove skillet from heat.
- Using a fork separate spaghetti squash strands from each half and add to mixture in skillet. Scrape out and spread into a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Top with meatballs, sauce, tomatoes and mozzarella. Bake for 30-35 minutes until mixture is bubbly and hot.
This is absolutely delicious and can be made ahead of time and popped in the oven right before serving.
1 lb Swaggerty’s Bulk Sausage (or any other)
1 spaghetti Squash, cut in half lengthwise & seeds removed
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 dried
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chopped collard greens
2 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves
1 cup reduced fat or whole fat ricotta cheese
3 roma/plum tomatoes diced
2 cups jarred pasta/tomato sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese