Skip the biscuit and go lean. Crispy sausage sandwiched between two spinach & egg “muffins”. Add your favorite garnish: avocados, tomatoes, hot sauce. Eat at home or on the go!
Paleo Sausage & Egg “Muffin”
- Working on a ﬂat surface using cookie cutters or tuna cans for molds, brush inside of each mold with olive oil and press half the sausage down into each. Heat a few tablespoons of additional olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add sausage ﬁlled molds to pan. Keep molds on for a perfectly round shape, or gently push sausage patty out into the skillet for a more free form.
- Turn heat to medium low and cook until sausage is cooked throughout. If you kept the mold on, gently push cooked patties out of molds. Drain on paper towels. Loosely cover with foil to keep warm.
- Whisk together two eggs, half the chopped spinach and half the seasoning.
- Clean out molds and re-brush with olive oil. Drizzle skillet with additional olive oil and turn heat to medium. Place both molds in skillet and when oil is hot, gently divide whisked egg mixture between the two. When egg starts to set, carefully pour 1/4 cup water into skillet. Turn heat to low and cover the skillet cooking 3-5 minutes or until eggs are totally set. Using a spatula remove molds with eggs from skillet to drain on paper towels. Loosely cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat process for remaining two eggs, spinach and seasoning.
- You will have two patties, and 4 egg “muffins” when ﬁnished. Take care when working with metal molds as they will get hot!
- To assemble, place sausage patty between two spinach egg “muffins” and season with salt and pepper.
Swaggerty’s Farm Sausage, 1/2 pound for two
4 large eggs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Handful of fresh spinach leaves, ﬁnely chopped
1 teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning
For Garnish: small grape or cherry tomatoes, avocado and hot sauce such as Sriracha