No sausage biscuit will ever come close to the level of taste bud satisfaction you'll experience once you bite into a Swaggerty's Breakfast Hand Pie. Our savory, butcher-fresh sausage along with scrambled eggs is wrapped in cheesy biscuit dough and baked golden brown. Make a dozen then freeze and reheat for the ultimate On-the-Go breakfast all week long!
Recipe: Swaggerty's On-the-Go Breakfast Hand Pies
With Sausage & Egg
6 Swaggerty's Farm Sliced Sausage patties cooked & drained
3 eggs scrambled salt & peppered (however you like them scrambled)
½ cup cheddar cheese
2 (7.5 oz ea) Biscuit mix packets such as Bisquick, or Martha White
1 cup milk
Flour for rolling out dough
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the biscuit mix packets plus cheese with the milk stirring with a fork until dough forms. Do not over mix.
- Scrape dough out onto a floured work surface & form into a flat disk. Roll dough, using a floured rolling pin, into a thin circle adding more flour as you roll if needed. Cut dough into 12 thin circles using a 4 inch cookie/biscuit cutter.
- Top each dough circle with a portion of the scrambled eggs, slightly piling in the middle. Add a sausage patty to each. Leave an edge of dough all round uncovered, wetting this edge with a little milk or water.
- Cover the sausage & egg with another dough circle. Gently press down around the fillings, pinching edges with fingers to seal dough circles together well. Place each finished filled savory breakfast cookie/biscuit on the prepared baking sheet not touching. Use any dough scraps left over to decorate the tops if you like.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until savory hand pies are golden brown and puffy. Remove from oven and serve warm or at room temp.
Breakfast hand pies are great for a meal on the go. Just wrap in wax paper to eat on your way to work or for the kids on the way to school.
Any of your favorite shredded cheeses could be substituted for cheddar in the dough. Minced green onions would be a great addition as well. Top sausage patty with additional cheese if you like a more cheesy taste.
This recipe could be made up ahead of time and frozen unbaked until ready to pop into a preheated oven to cook, as you need them. Allow about 10 minutes for these filled treats to thaw before baking.