Turn leftover turkey or chicken into this classic comfort food! Shredded turkey blended with flavorful sausage and veggies in a savory gravy baked under layers of golden brown herbed pie crust!
Turkey & Sausage Pot Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large deep skillet, brown Swaggerty's sausage over medium heat until golden brown breaking into large chunks as it cooks. Remove from pan to drain on paper towels.
- Add onions to the same skillet along with the 1 tbsp of olive oil. Cook onions until slightly browned and softened.
- Scatter 2 TBSP flour, salt, and black pepper over the onions and stir with a whisk for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly pour in 2 cups broth whisking as you pour. Add thyme leaves. Turn heat to medium low and cook, stirring often until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Add celery and carrots to the slightly thickened broth and cook for about 7-8 minutes. Stir often.
- Add browned sausage, turkey chunks, and peas to the pan and gently fold ingredients together. Remove from heat and scrape mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish.
- On a flat work surface lightly dusted with flour roll out pie crust into a circle larger than the casserole dish. Scatter the 1 TBSP chopped herbs over the crust and roll into the surface of the dough.
- Cut dough into strips and place over the filling creating a lattice top. Press strips of dough to the edges of the casserole dish and brush crust with egg wash.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until top crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly and hot. Remove from oven.
This is a terrific use for leftover turkey from your Thanksgiving feast or chicken from any meal.