Flavor packed crispy wontons filled with golden brown sausage crumbles, creamy cheeses, and savory spices. Add an extra kick with a little jalapeño on top. Perfect served in a dress or sweats!
Sausage & Cheese Wontons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown sausage in a skillet over medium heat, breaking up with a spatula or spoon as it cooks until crumbly. Drain on paper towels and return cooked sausage to the skillet over medium low heat. Add diced bell peppers and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- Add softened goat cheese to the skillet and stir into the sausage mixture until well blended. Stir in half of the shredded fontina cheese. Season to taste with black pepper. Set aside.
- Spray multiple mini muffin tins with vegetable spray if you have them, or just repeat baking process with one mini muffin tin 3 times if you only have one.
- Press one wonton wrapper down into each muffin tin opening gently to create a little shell when baked.
- Bake wonton wrappers in muffin tins for about 6-8 minutes, or until just beginning to turn light brown on the top edges.
- Fill each baked wonton with some of the sausage-cheese mixture, sprinkle a bit of the fontina shreds on top along with the finely diced fresh chiles and return to oven to cook another 5-6 minutes, or un-til the cheese on top is melted. Repeat process until all 36 wontons are filled and baked. Remove filled wontons from muffin tins and serve on a platter or plate.
You can keep these crispy Sausage & Cheese Filled Wontons warm on a sheet pan loosely covered with foil until ready to serve. If taking to a party or tailgating just put in a pan and cover with a couple of layers of foil. They are tasty hot, warm or at room temperature. They can be made ahead of time and popped back in an oven to reheat right before serving as well.
1 lb. Swaggerty’s All Natural Bulk Sausage
1 package of 36 Wonton Wrappers
1/2 cup diced bell orange, yellow or red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves crushed
4 ounces softened goat cheese
1 cup grated fontina cheese, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
2 jalapeño or serrano chile peppers, seeded and finely diced