At last, a new & healthier twist on an 'ol favorite! This Mac & Cheese really hits the spot with its delicious combination of cheeses, pasta, cauliflower, sausage with a hint of nutmeg. Serve with steamed veggies and you have awesome meat & three for tonight!If you're watching your waistline, check out our healthier ingredient alternatives below.
Sausage & Cauliflower, Mac & Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F degrees.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium high heat. Stir in flour until well mixed. Slowly add milk whisking to combine. Reduce heat and cook until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Add ricotta, cooked pasta, all of the Swiss cheese, and 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese, and mix until combined.
- Stir in cooked Swaggerty's Farm sausage and steamed cauliflower florets. Scrape into a large casserole dish, sprinkle top with other 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese, cover loosely with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook another 10-15 minutes until mixture is hot, bubbly, and cheese is slightly browned.
- Serve hot as a side dish or as a main course with a crispy Spring salad.
This is a simple and very delicious version of a classic macaroni and cheese that is great served with steamed broccoli, or spinach…a crunch cole slaw…cornbread muffins…or Spring salad greens.
A good side dish for a meal that is light on protein such as a vegetable dinner. If you're watching your waistline (who isn't), then use reduced fat milk instead of whole milk and reduced fat cheeses. A plain Greek style yogurt is a great substitute for ricotta. Substitute broccoli for cauliflower if you like.
Serves (8) as a side item, (4) as a primary item
1/2 lb cooked Swaggerty's Farm Sausage
1 lb. cooked pasta – bowtie, penne or macaroni
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
salt & black pepper to taste
1 cup whole milk Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (divided in half)
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets & steamed (or use a bag of pre-cut florets from the produce section)
Level of complexity:
Number of ingredients:
Pairs well with:
Vegetables such as salad greens, steamed broccli, steamed spinach
Special Kitchen Tools: