Very Vegetable & Sausage Pot Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon into large chunks as it cooks. Halfway through cooking time, add chopped onions. Cook until onions have softened and sausage is cooked throughout.
- Stir flour-broth mixture into skillet. Cook with sausage for 1 to 2 minutes. Drizzle 1 cup of broth into skillet stirring to mix well. Broth should thicken slightly.
- Add mixed vegetables and cooked potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Scrape mixture out into the prepared casserole dish.
- Roll refrigerator pie crust out larger than the top of the casserole dish you are using. Place crust over top of filled dish. Trim and turn any extra crust that hangs over edges back into the dish crimping slightly. Use any leftover bits and pieces for decorative cut-outs that you can make with small seasonal cookie cutters. Add these randomly to top of crust. Sprinkle a bit of sea salt or kosher salt over the top of the finished crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.
In this recipe you want to make sure to keep the sausage pieces in larger bite-size chunks.
You could also make this recipe in individual size casserole dishes. These could be made ahead of time and frozen until you are ready to bake.
If the top crust browns too quickly before the filling is hot and bubbly, then "tent" the casserole with aluminum foil.
Let sit for about 8-10 minutes before serving.
6 - 8
35 - 40 min
1 lb. Swaggerty's Farm All Natural sSausage
1 small onion chopped
1 ¼ cup chicken broth (divided)
3 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed & drained
2 cups halved baby new potatoes cooked until just tender
1 pre-made refrigerator pie crust
2 tbsp all purpose flour whisked into the ¼ cup chicken broth
Salt and black pepper to taste + sea salt or kosher salt to top off dish before cooking
Level of complexity:
Easy to intermediate
Number of ingredients:
Pairs well with:
Special Kitchen Tools: