One Skillet! That is all you need to create this amazing lasagna! Layers of golden brown sausage, Brussel sprouts, a rich marinara sauce plus extra creamy cheeses baked in a skillet!
Three Cheese Skillet Lasagna
- Preheat oven to 375˚F degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a deep skillet, at least 12 inches round…cast-iron or enamel over medium-high heat. Add Italian sausage and brown, breaking up into bite-size pieces with a spoon as it cooks. Add in the shallots, garlic, lemon zest and red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt. Cook a few more minutes. Add in the Brussels sprouts and cook until they are slightly softened. Scrape mixture into a mixing bowl and set aside. Remove skillet from heat.
- Working with same skillet, add a bit of the marinara sauce to the bottom of the pan just to coat. Mix the remaining jar of sauce with the sausage-veg mixture in the bowl tossing to coat well.
- Layer half of the lasagna noodles over the sauce in the bottom of the skillet. Break up noodles as needed to fit into the pan. Cover noodles with half of the sausage-marinara mixture spreading out somewhat evenly. Sprinkle half of the parmesan cheese on top along with half of the torn mozzarella pieces.
- Top with remaining half of lasagna noodles, remaining sausage-marinara mixture, remaining parmesan cheese and mozzarella. Top with Gruyere and red bell pepper pieces. Sprinkle a bit of kosher salt and black pepper over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, until lasagna is bubbly and golden brown on top, for about 50 minutes. If lasagna gets too brown before baking time is up, then cover loosely with a sheet of foil.
All of these ingredients can be purchased at most local grocery stores.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound Swaggerty’s Farm® Italian Sausage
2 shallots, diced (or one small yellow onion)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon zest
A pinch of red pepper flakes
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
8 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed & cut into halves or quarters
One large jar of your favorite marinara sauce, 25 ounces at least
8 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound fresh Mozzarella cheese, torn into large pieces (nothing fancy here just the kind that is now sold in most grocery stores such as BelGioioso)
1/ 2 cup grated Gruyere cheese (or Swiss, Emmental or Fontina)
1/2 red bell pepper cut into strips