- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a baking pan with butter. Set aside. (Line your pan with parchment paper - optional.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, green onions, oregano, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Brown Swaggerty's Farm sausage in a skillet over medium heat breaking up into crumbles with a spoon as it cooks. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To same skillet add the red bell pepper slivers and lightly sauté until slightly softened. Remove from pan.
- Cover bottom of baking pan with bread slices and top bread with cheese slices. Tear to fit if necessary.
- Pour half of the milk-onion mixture over cheese and bread.
- Sprinkle half the cooked sausage over and add half the red bell pepper slivers.
- Repeat layering, ending with red bell pepper slivers. Use the back of a spoon or your hands to press layers together so that the bread soaks up the liquid. You can bake now or cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Bake for 1 hour until the strata is puffy and brown. Remove from oven.
Stratas are tasty for breakfast, brunch, or dinner along with some fruit or a salad.
This is a great "make ahead" dish that can be refrigerated until ready to bake or frozen.
Cut into squares this strata is a wonderful "lunch box" addition. Pop into a microwave to heat up for lunch at the office!
This strata using Swaggerty's sausage can be made with just about any veggies or cheese you have on hand as well as bread of your choice.
Let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
6 - 8
1 lb. Swaggerty's Farm roll sausage
1 red bell pepper, slivered
1 pound loaf of French bread, sliced ½ inch thick
1.5 cups sliced green onions
1 tbsp dried oregano
6 large eggs
2 cups whole milk
½ cup whipping cream
7 to 8 slices white Cheddar cheese, Swiss, or Monterey Jack cheese
Salt and pepper
Softened butter to grease baking pan
Level of complexity:
Number of ingredients:
Pairs well with:
A green salad with fresh garden tomatoes, dollop of sour cream or yogurt, salsa, fresh avocado slices
Special Kitchen Tools: