Sausage, Feta, & Spinach Pies
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Open and roll out one package of crescent roll dough flat on a baking sheet sprayed with Pam. Gently press dough out flat.
- Brown Swaggerty's Farm sausage, breaking up as you cook with a spoon into crumbles. Turn off heat. Drain sausage. Add back to hot skillet.
- Add softened cream cheese dollops to sausage in skillet stirring until well mixed.
- Stir in thyme leaves and chopped spinach.
- Sprinkle crumbled feta cheese over mixture and blend well.
- Spread sausage-spinach mixture evenly over crescent roll dough.
- Roll second package of crescent roll dough out onto a floured surface. Sprinkle a bit of flour on top of dough and flatten with fingers. Place over sausage mixture pressing gently around edged. The crescent roll dough "cuts" should still be somewhat visible. These lines are where you will cut to serve after baking.
- Optional: Garnish each crescent roll shape with a leaf of fresh sage (or fresh thyme leaves or chives). Press leaves gently into surface after wetting each one with a bit of water. This will help it stay flat and will look prettier after baking.
- Place baking pan in oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until dough is golden brown and puffy.
This recipe is one of the many reasons you might want to try growing some of your own herbs. Sage, thyme, and oregano along with basil can be easily grown in pots if you don't have a yard. They are hearty and will give you a ready supply of fresh herbs for recipes and for garnishes.
To reheat slices: Place in oven uncovered on a baking sheet. The microwave will make the crescent roll dough crust become soggy. A regular oven will re-crisp the dough.
This is another great recipe to make ahead, freeze and pop into the oven when you are ready to serve.
Serve hot cut into wedges along crescent roll dough lines.
1 lb Swaggerty's Farm hot roll sausage
2 pkgs refrigerator crescent rolls
2 cups chopped fresh spinach or one 10 oz pkg frozen, thawed, and squeezed dry
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
4 ozs softened cream cheese
2 tsp dried thyme leaves
Fresh sage leaves for garnish (optional)
Level of complexity:
Number of ingredients:
Pairs well with:
Fresh fruit with breakfast or brunch, simple apple and cabbage cole slaw for dinner
Special Kitchen Tools: