What a great classic hoagie! Golden brown bite-size Italian sausage in tangy marinara sauce, spooned into a garlic toasted hoagie, topped with cheese & basil. Mama Mia, that's good!
Italian Sausage Hoagies
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix together the softened butter, garlic, parsley and salt to taste until well blended. Set aside.
- Mix together the shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and add in olive oil and chunks of Italian sausage. Brown sausage, breaking up as it cooks into bite-size pieces, about 8 minutes. Add marinara sauce to pan with sausage and cook until well heated. Set aside.
- Spread cut sides of sub rolls with the butter-garlic mixture. Place cut sides up on a rimmed baking pan and bake until they are toasted and golden brown.
- With sub rolls still on baking pan, spoon some of the sausage mixture into each toasted roll and sprinkle with cheese mix…return pan to oven and cook just until cheese is melted.
It’s easy to remove the sausage from the casings….just split each sausage down the center lengthwise…squeeze to remove sausage and toss the casings.
1 pkg Swaggerty’s Hot Italian Sausage Links, casings removed
1/2 stick butter, softened
3 cloves garlic, crushed & chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Kosher salt to taste
4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
4 Sub, or Hoagie rolls, split, but kept hinged
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups of your favorite jarred marinara sauce
1/3 cup sliced fresh basil leaves