A delicious hand-held pizza! Pizza dough filled with savory sausage crumbles, rich tomato sauce, onion, basil and cheese, baked golden brown and crusty.
Hand-Held Spicy Italian Pizza Rolls
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook the onions, half of the dried oregano and salt in olive oil while stirring for a few minutes until onions are softened. Pour in the tomato puree, 1/2 cup basil leaves, red pepper flakes and black pepper stirring to combine. Turn to simmer and cook about 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Mix together the grated Parmesan cheese and remaining half of dried oregano. Set aside.
- Cook sausage, crumbling as it cooks using a spoon or spatula, until browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Divide the thawed pizza dough ball into 8 equal pieces. Flatten, using your hands or a rolling pin into 4 inch squares. Working on a flat surface, for each of the dough squares, spread 1 tablespoon of the tomato sauce almost to the edges, but not quite; top with 1 tablespoon of the Italian Blend cheese; add 1 generous tablespoon sausage crumbles; top with one of the basil leaves. Gather edges of dough up and over the fillings, pinch edges together to seal. Place pinched edges down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat this process with remaining dough squares and ingredients.
- Brush rolls with olive oil over tops and sides. Sprinkle each with the Parmesan-oregano mixture. Using a sharp knife, cut two slashes across the top of each roll. Bake until golden brown and bubbly for about 25 minutes.
If using the refrigerated type pizza dough, such as Pillsbury, open package and lay rectangle of dough down on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough into 4 inch squares. You will need two rolls of dough to get the 4” squares. Proceed with recipe as directed. Sometimes this dough is easier to work with and is pretty fool proof, but some folks prefer the “real deal” pizza dough available in most supermarkets.
1 pkg Swaggerty’s Italian Sausage
3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1/2 cup diced onion
1 tablespoon dried oregano, divided
Pinch of salt
2 cups tomato puree
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves + 8 larger leaves for when you make rolls
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste
3 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb. frozen pizza dough, thawed and at room temperature (or two pkgs refrigerator pizza dough such as Pillsbury)
1 cup Italian Blend shredded cheese