Enjoy our easy & delicious skillet mac & cheese! Spicy Italian Sausage browned
with onions, garlic and peppers simmering in a marinara broth and baked until
macaroni & cheese is bubbly.
Easy One-Pot Italian Sausage Mac & Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brown sausage in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high, breaking up with a spoon as it cooks. Stir in onions, garlic and bell peppers and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in pasta and stir until well mixed. Pour in broth and marinara sauce, stirring to blend. Season with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to medium-low and cook until pasta is cooked “al dente” for about 20 minutes. The liquid will be reduced and sauce thickened.
- Pour in half & half and mix well, cooking another few minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in half, 1 cup, of the mozzarella cheese until well blended.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup mozzarella over the top. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10-15 minutes. Garnish servings with chopped, fresh herbs.
Step three allows you to control the thickness of the mac & cheese sauce.
1 lb Swaggerty’s Bulk Italian Sausage
1 cup chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red bell pepper, chopped
12 ounces short pasta (rotini, elbow, penne, etc)
2 cups of your favorite jarred marinara sauce
4 cups chicken broth
Salt and black pepper
1/4 cup half and half
2 cups “soft” mozzarella cheese, shredded or pulled apart into small chunks, divided (Polly-O or BelGioioso brand is great for this and can be found at most supermarkets/groceries)
Fresh herbs for garnishing - basil leaves, parsley, thyme, rosemary…any of your favorites