Our Black Bean Sausage Chili with feta cornbread croutons will fill tame even the fiercest hunger! Onions, chilies, fire-roasted tomatoes, and black beans all simmered with our flavorful sausage and topped with delicious cornbread croutons.
Black Bean Sausage Chili
- Chili: Brown Swaggerty's Farm sausage in a large stock pot. Halfway through browning add in chopped onions and cook until onions are translucent.
- Chili: Stir in green chillies, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, cocoa-chili powder, garlic powder, chicken broth, and black beans.
- Chili: Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes. You can make ahead of time and reheat when ready to serve.
- Croutons: Preheat oven to 350˚F degrees.
- Croutons: Cut cornbread into cubes and spread out on a baking pan.
- Croutons: Drizzle cubes with melted butter and sprinkle crumbled Feta over all.
- Croutons: Bake until golden brown and crispy.
This chili can be made in bulk by doubling the recipe and freezing for quick meals on cold winter nights.
Adding a bit of cocoa to chili recipes really rounds out the flavors. If you cannot find the cocoa-chili spice blend, then make your own: ½ cup chili powder + ½ cup cocoa powder. Store in an airtight jar. This spice blend is fantastic in chilies, taco mixes, mixed with ground beef or ground turkey for burgers or meatloaf.
6 - 8
Ingredients for Chili:
1 lb Swaggerty's Farm roll sausage
1 cup chopped onion
1 small can green chilies
2 cans fire-roasted tomatoes (14.5 oz or one 28 oz)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground cocoa/chili spice (Spice Islands® makes this, if you cannot find then mix)
½ tbsp chili powder and cocoa to make your own)
a dash of garlic powder
2 cups chicken broth
1 large can or two small cans of black beans, rinsed, and drained
Ingredients for Croutons:
1 pan of premade cornbread, store bought or homemade
⅓ cup melted butter
2 ounces Feta cheese, crumbled
Level of complexity:
Number of ingredients:
Pairs well with:
Special Kitchen Tools: