A great, fresh summer recipe with something for everyone! Create a delicious dinner tonight featuring garden fresh acorn squash. Loaded with flavorful sausage, sweet apples, baby spinach, grape tomatoes, then simmered with mushrooms and onions, and topped with mozzarella cheese.
Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Carefully, using a sharp knife, cut a thin slice off of each squash bottom so they will sit flat while baking. Place each half, cut side down in a shallow baking pan. Add water to come up about 1/4 inch in pan. Sprinkle grape tomatoes in pan around squash. Bake for about 40-45 minutes.
- While acorn squash are baking, brown sausage in a large skillet, crumbling with a spoon as it cooks.
- Drain. Return sausage to pan.
- To the sausage add the mushrooms, apple, onion, sage and fennel. Cook over medium heat until mushrooms are wilted and apples just beginning to soften.
- Add in spinach, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook another few minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove baking pan from the oven and carefully place squash, cut side up, on a flat work surface.
- Drain liquid and put tomatoes in a bowl and smash with a fork.
- Add tomatoes and mozzarella to the pan with the sausage, toss to mix well.
- Fill each squash half generously with the sausage stuffing. Place filled squash on the baking pan and return to the oven to cook for another 10-15 minutes until heated throughout and the cheese is melted.
You can use a varity of our premium sausage products in this recipe. Pick your favorite flavor whether mild, hot, sweet, ot Italian!
4 acorn squash, cut in half with seeds scraped out
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 lb. Swaggerty’s Italian Sausage links, casings removed 8 ounces baby bella/crimini mushrooms, chopped
1 tart apple, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 cups chopped, fresh baby spinach leaves
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into small pieces