A fantastic twist on traditional lasagna! Browned sausage crumbles, spicy marinara with kale, and shredded mozzarella cheese rolled around soft lasagna noodles, baked until it’s hot and bubbly. Great for your next party! Impressive & delicious!
Sausage Lasagna Rolls
- In a large pan, brown sausage over medium heat. Break into crumbles as it browns. Drain. Return to the skillet.
- Stir in half of the marinara sauce, fennel seeds, Italian herbs, sea salt & black pepper and chopped kale. Cook, stirring often, over medium low heat until well heated, about 10-12 minutes. Set aside.
- While sauce is cooking, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pour 1 cup of the remaining marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread to cover bottom. This will be a thin layer.
- On a flat surface, working with one noodle at a time, sprinkle some of the shredded mozzarella down the length. Set aside about 1/2 cup of the mozzarella for the topping. Spoon some of the meat sauce down the middle over the shredded mozzarella and top with a sprinkle of parmesan. Set aside about 1/4 cup Parmesan for topping as well. Working from one end, carefully roll noodle up and place, seam side down, in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Drizzle the rest of the marinara sauce over noodles and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted.
These were absolutely delicious and can be made ahead of time and popped in the oven right before serving.
1 lb. Swaggerty’s Farm Bulk Sausage
1, 24 oz jar of marinara pasta sauce, divided
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon Italian herb mix
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 cups baby kale leaves, finely chopped
8 lasagna noodles
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 cup shredded, or grated, Parmesan cheese, divided