Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks!
Try a delicious, Gluten-free Brat Dog served in a yummy baked sweet potato and topped with spicy chipotle mayo or ketchup, pickle relish, and red onions.
Sweet Potato Brat Dogs
- Bake sweet potatoes in a 375 degree oven just until softened but still firm. Remove from oven. Trim off pointy ends. Split each potato down the middle from end to end, but keep hinged, but slightly pulled apart to create the “bun.”
- While they are very hot lay 2 Cheddar pieces inside each split sweet potato. Set aside to melt.
- Turn sausages halfway through cook time. Drain well on paper towels and keep warm.
- While sausages are cooking, place slivered red onion in a small bowl and drizzle with lemon juice. Toss and let sit for 5-10 minutes. This will sweeten the onions somewhat. Drain before using.
- To assemble the “hot dogs” place a sausage in each “sweet potato bun” and smear each with some chipotle mayo and/or ketchup. Top with pickle relish and slivered red onions and some freshly ground black pepper.
Serve with a fork and knife.
4 Swaggerty’s Farm Italian Sausage Links (save 5th one in package for an omelet or quiche)
4 sweet potatoes, skins rubbed with olive oil or vegetable oil
4 slices sharp Cheddar cheese, each torn in half to make 8 pieces
1/2 cup thinly slivered red onions
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup sweet pickle relish drained
1/2 cup chipotle mayo
1/4 cup ketchup (optional)
Freshly ground black pepper
Level of complexity:
Number of ingredients:
Pairs well with:
Beer, chips, or salad
Special Kitchen Tools: