Sausage & Apple Breakfast Pudding
- Preheat oven to 425˚ F.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the milk, flour, melted butter, and salt to make a batter. Set aside.
- In heavy skillet, cast iron preferred, brown 6 Swaggerty's Farm sausage patties on both sides.
- Add scallions to skillet and gently sauté until slightly wilted.
- Arrange half of apple slices around sausage patties and onions.
- Gently pour batter over ingredients in the skillet.
- Add the other half of apple slices over batter.
- Place in oven and bake for about 25 minutes until batter is set and puffy. Remove skillet from oven and cut into 6 wedges. Serve hot with a drizzle of maple syrup.
This can be partially made ahead…just mix pudding batter up the night before and keep refrigerated. Whisk right before pouring over sausage.
When cooked the batter sets up like a soft custard.
The combination of sausage, apples, and scallions is a perfect trio for breakfast.
This recipe can be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13 pan for a crowd.
6 Swaggerty’s Sausage patties
1 large crisp apple such as Gala, Granny Smith or Braeburn, sliced
4 scallions/green onions, trimmed
1 ½ cup milk
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
3 tbsp butter, melted
½ tsp salt
Optional: Maple syrup
Level of complexity:
Number of ingredients:
Pairs well with:
Special Kitchen Tools: