What a great way to start your day with this make-ahead breakfast lasagna! Layers of golden brown sausage & gravy, fluffy scrambled eggs, Italian cheeses and lasagna noodles baked until brown & bubbly. Good Morning!
Make-Ahead Sausage Gravy & Egg Breakfast Lasagna
- Saute sausage and white part of onions over medium high heat until sausage is browned. Add in baby spinach leaves and cook until wilted. Turn heat down to medium.
- Sprinkle the ﬂour and nutmeg over the sausage mixture, stirring to blend well. Cook for a couple of minutes. While stirring, slowly pour milk into skillet and cook until it starts to thicken. Turn heat to simmer and cook a few additional minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- While sausage gravy is cooling, cook scrambled eggs. Set aside.
- Blend the cheeses together in one bowl.
- To assemble lasagna: Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole pan* with cooking spray. Spoon 1/2 cup of the sausage gravy over the bottom in a thin layer. Arrange 4 noodles slightly overlapping to cover the bottom of the pan. Spoon 1/3 of the remaining sausage gravy over the noodles, add a sprinkle of green onion tops and chopped parsley and 1/3 of the shredded cheese mixture.
- Add another layer of noodles, half of the remaining gravy mixture, all of the scram-bled eggs, half of the remaining green onions, parsley and shredded cheeses.
- Add ﬁnal layer of noodles, remaining gravy, a sprinkling of parsley and green onions (keep some back for garnish after cooking), and the rest of the shredded cheeses.
- Cover the uncooked lasagna with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight to cook the next morning.
- To cook, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove plastic from lasagna, cover with foil sprayed with cooking spray and bake covered for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until the lasagna is slightly browned and middle is bubbly, another 20-30 minutes. Let sit for 10-15 minutes, then serve.
No cook noodles are great for cutting down on lasagna prep and can be found in most supermarkets these days. Makes this recipe simple and easy.
*If using a glass casserole dish: Follow directions above and refrigerate. Before cooking, remove glass casserole from refrigerator. Remove plastic from lasagna, cover with foil sprayed with cooking spray and wait for the glass dish to reach room temperature before placing it in the preheated 375 degree oven. Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the lasagna is slightly browned and middle is bubbly, another 20-30 minutes. Let sit for 10-15 minutes, then serve topped with any remaining parsley and green onions.
2 lbs Swaggerty’s Bulk Sausage, Mild
4 green onions - whites chopped, green tops thinly sliced, separated
2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
1/3 cup all purpose ﬂour
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
4 cups milk
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese, or Monterey jack
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped Italian or curly parsley
12 Oven-ready, no cook lasagna pasta noodles