Make any morning special! Amazingly delicious and easy to make. This simple batter complements the perfect pairing of sausage and apple - and bakes to a golden brown. While hot from the oven, drizzle sweet maple glaze over the doughnuts and watch them disappear!
Sausage & Apple Baked Doughnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray doughnut pan with cooking spray.
- Using a mixer cream together the butter and sugar until well blended. Add egg and vanilla and blend well.
- In another bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the milk until all is well mixed.
- Fold the cooked sausage crumbled and the cubed apples into the batter.
- Evenly divide batter between tin(s) to make 8 doughnuts. If your tin is for 6 doughnuts then bake off 6 and then 2. Or just buy two tins as they are inexpensive and you will use them over and over. These doughnuts are a lower calorie alternative to the fried ones.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until doughnuts are golden brown and puffy. Turn out onto a wire cooing rack to cool while you make the glaze.
- For the glaze whisk together the powdered sugar and maple syrup until there are no lumps of sugar. Use the whisk to drizzle glaze over doughnuts. If you want more glaze you can double the ingredients.
Inexpensive doughnut tin(s) for baked doughnuts can be found at Walmart, Target or online. They are usually for 6 doughnuts but you can sometimes find an 8 doughnut pan.