If you not familiar with “fritters”, now’s your chance! Spicy, flavorful skillet-browned sausage and onions stirred with a corn, flour, and egg mix - then fried golden brown. Make them small for appetizers or larger for a tasty side dish. Oh, and don’t forget the Cole Slaw!
Summer Corn & Sausage Fritters
- Sift together in a mixing bowl the flour, paprika, salt and black pepper.
- Brown sausage in a skillet, breaking up into small crumbles as it cooks. When sausage is almost completely browned add the minced onion and cook until onion is softened. Drain on paper towels.
- Add cooked sausage-onion mixture to the flour in the mixing bowl. Add corn, cream and egg yolks. Stir until blended.
- Fold in beaten egg whites. Set aside.
- Pour about 1 inch of vegetable or canola oil in a metal, non-coated frying pan and heat over medium high heat until a pinch of the corn-sausage fritter mixture sizzles.
- Carefully drop fritter mixture by teaspoonfuls into the hot oil. When one side is browned, carefully flip and brown. Remove fritters as they are cooked using a slotted or mesh spoon to drain on a pan lined with paper towels. Fritters will cook very quickly so don't let them get too brown, just golden and crispy.
- Serve fritters warm with a fresh salsa.
These delicious fritters can be cooked using smaller dollops to be served as warm appetizers for a party.
Recipe makes 22 - 24 fritters and easily serves 6 adults as an appetizer.