Nothing says dinner like a great tasting baked potato! These Swaggerty spuds are flat out awesome, filled with melted cheddar cheese, sour cream, and onions, then topped with crumbled sausage bits. Save me a place at the table tonight 'cause Mama, I'm coming home!
Twice-Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- Rinse & dry potatoes. Pierce each potato with a knife across the top and bake in a 400˚ F degree oven for about 45 minutes or until baked throughout.
- While potatoes are baking put half & half, sour cream and butter in a mixing bowl. Set aside at room temp.
- When potatoes are baked, remove from oven. Turn heat down to 350˚ F. With a sharp knife cut the skin from the top of each potato. Using a spoon hollow out the insides of each potato, adding to the bowl with the half & half, sour cream and butter.
- Using a fork, mash the potatoes. Add salt & pepper. Stir in 3/4 cup of the shredded cheddar & 1/2 the chopped green onions stirring until well mixed. Fill each hollowed out potato with mashed potato mixture. Place potatoes on a baking sheet.
- Evenly divide the 1/2 pound of cooked & crumbled Swaggerty's Farm Sausage on top of each filled potato. Top each evenly with remaining 1/4 cup shredded cheese & chopped scallions.
- Place potatoes in the oven and bake the second time for about 15 minutes.
For a lower fat version use skim milk, fat free sour cream, and 1/4 cup chicken broth. You could use lower fat cheese options as well.