If you find yourself overstocked with fresh garden zucchini, you don't just give them all away to the neighbors. Stuff them with bits of our mild flavored sausage, cheese, red onion, spices, and pecans atop a garden fresh zucchini - and bake to perfection. A fantastic side dish for any meal or special occasion!
Stuffed Summer Squash
- Rinse squash. Cut in half lengthwise to make 8 halves.
- Carefully using a knife and spoon cut and scrape out seeds and some of the squash in the middle of each half creating a shell. (Don't toss out the squash you just scooped out…put in a freezer bag, pop in the freezer and use later for a squash soup)
- Arrange scooped out squash halves in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Add bread slices to a processor and pulse to make breadcrumbs. (If you do not have a food processor just tear up into fine pieces with your fingers or use packaged breadcrumbs)
- Put breadcrumbs, dried thyme, salt & pepper in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a skillet brown sausage over medium heat until there is no pink and sausage is slightly browned. As sausage cooks, break up with a wooden spoon into crumbles.
- Add garlic & onion to skillet. Cook for a few minutes more. Scrape mixture into mixing bowl with the breadcrumbs. Toss together well.
- Add shredded cheese to bowl and stir to blend.
- Pour in stock (or water) and combine all ingredients.
- Stuff all squash halves with sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle tops of squash with chopped pecans and additional shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until hot. Or cover and refrigerate until ready to bake for later if making ahead of time.