Better than delivery! Chunky pieces of Hot Italian Dinner links, tangy roasted tomatoes, onion, and kale top a fresh pizza dough baked in a hot skillet. And of course, don't forget your favorite cheese!
- Brown sausage sprinkled with 1 tsp Italian Seasoning, breaking up with a spoon as it cooks into bite size chunks. Drain on a paper towel.
- Turn oven to broil. Toss cherry tomatoes and slivered onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil and remaining seasoning. Cook on a sheet pan under broiler until tomatoes and onions are cooked down and charred. About 8 minutes.
- Gently mash tomato-onion mix with the back of a spoon to release the juices. Drain on paper towels to dry out.
- Place 12 inch cast iron skillet in oven and turn to 500 degrees.
- Toss chopped kale with the remaining tablespoon olive oil.
- Roll or stretch pizza dough out into a 12 to 14 inch circle. The dough should be somewhat thin so it will crisp on the bottom and sides.
- Carefully remove cast iron skillet from the oven. Sprinkle with the cornmeal. Very carefully place the pizza dough into the pan.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the mozzarella over the bottom of the dough, top with half the roasted tomato-onion mixture, half the kale and half the sausage. Repeat layering ending with cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the pizza edges are crisp and the cheese is browned. Remove from oven and serve cut into wedges.
You can also use canned fire-roasted tomatoes, well drained. But roasting cherry tomatoes is so easy to do and much tastier. There are varieties of pizza dough available in stores these days. Frozen, fresh, or even in a can in the refrigerator section.
3 links of Swaggerty’s Farm Hot Italian Dinner Links, with casings removed
2 teaspoons dried Italian Seasoning, divided
1 pint of small cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
1/4 red onion, slivered
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cups of chopped kale leaves ( or spinach)
1 lb whole-wheat pizza dough (or regular dough) ball from the supermarket, room temp
1 teaspoon cornmeal to dust bottom of hot skillet
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese