A true comfort food that's tender, juicy, and loaded with flavor. Enjoy your favorite finely chopped carrots, celery, and onion mixed with savory spices, breadcrumbs, and sausage - baked in a traditional loaf pan!
Sausage & Veggie Meatloaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Place on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet. Set aside.
- Finely chop carrot, celery and onion in a food processor. Or mince finely with a knife. Place in a large bowl.
- To bowl add thyme, nutmeg, black pepper, egg, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil and sausage. Mix all ingredients together very well using your hands. Pat into a ball and place meat-veg mixture in the loaf pan. Use your hands to press down into the pan. If desired at this point smear top of loaf with half of the ketchup.
- Bake for 55 minutes. Check temp inside meat loaf using a meat thermometer if you have one. It should read about 155-160 degrees. If you do not have a meat thermometer then insert a skewer into the middle of the loaf, press gently using a spatula and see if the juices run clear. If needed bake another 10 minutes. If the loaf starts to get too dark on the top then tent with foil.
- Remove from oven when done and let cool about 5 minutes in pan.
This loaf is good for a sandwich the next day - if there are any leftovers! Freezes well.
2 lbs Swaggerty’s Farm Sausage, Mild or your favorite
1 carrot + 1 stalk of celery + 1/2 small onion
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Splash of olive oil
Optional: 1/2 cup ketchup