A fantastic twist on Chile Rellenos ~ in a casserole! Fire roasted poblanos stuffed with browned sausage, cheese and spiced tomatoes. Mixed with eggs & cheese and baked till golden brown. Delicioso!
Sausage Stuffed Chiles Rellenos Casserole
- Preheat broiler to high. Place poblano peppers on a baking sheet and roast under broiler until the skins are blistered and blackened, turning halfway through roasting. This takes about 5-10 minutes. Re-move chilies and place in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Carefully peel chilies discarding the skins. Remove the stems, slit peppers and remove most of the seeds and discard. Drain on paper towels. Pat outsides and insides with paper towels. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 x 12 casserole with vegetable oil.
- Brown sausage over medium heat, breaking up with a spatula as it cooks. Stir crumbled cojita cheese, drained Rotel tomatoes and oregano into the browned sausage. Remove from heat to cool for 10 minutes.
- Stuff chilies with the sausage mixture until full and place each one in the prepared dish with cut side down. Don’t worry if chilies split more while you are filling. It is also okay if some of the stuffing spills out into the pan. Repeat process with all peppers. If there is any sausage stuffing leftover then just sprinkle it around the stuffed poblanos in the pan.
- Whisk together in a small bowl the flour, baking powder, chili powder and salt.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl and whisk in the flour mixture until well blended. You can also put eggs in a blender, add flour and blend well.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded Pepper Jack cheese over peppers. Pour egg mixture around peppers. Sprinkle with remaining shredded Jack.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until top is golden browned and eggs are set. Don’t over cook as casserole will continue to cook even after removed from the oven.
Great tips are online for roasting poblano and scraping away the skin and seeds.
6 to 8 fresh poblano peppers
1 cup crumbled Cojita Mexican cheese
1 lb. roll of Swaggerty's Farm Sausage
1 can Rotel tomatoes, any type but I used Mexican Style Lime & Cilantro, well drained
1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon Chili Powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
Pre-made jarred or homemade salsa for serving