Sausage Meatloaf Sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl combine tomato sauce, oats, bell pepper, onion , eggs, sage, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add sausage & ground beef to the bowl. Using your hands or a large spoon mix all ingredients together completely.
- Press sausage mixture firmly into a 9 x 5 loaf pan getting out all air bubbles. Place loaf pan on a larger baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.
- Remove meatloaf from oven, drain off any liquid from loaf pan and place on a cooling rack. Let cool completely, then cover and chill until ready to make sandwiches, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- When ready to make sandwiches slice chilled meatloaf into 10 slices.
- Using your favorite crusty bread and condiments make sandwiches to your liking.
These sandwiches are very hearty and make great treats for a tailgate party or picnic. Just wrap in wax paper or foil. Serve with pickles and carrot sticks for crunch.
Mixing a meatloaf using your hands is the way to go. You can really meld all the ingredients, but put on kitchen gloves first.
Try this recipe using Swaggerty’s 1930 Family Recipe “Hot” Sausage if your family likes their dishes a bit more spicy.
Serves 10 sandwiches. Allow for 1 hour cooling time or overnight.
1 lb. your favorite Swaggerty’s Farm premium sausage
1 lb lean ground beef
1 cup canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup oats (like Uncle Ben’s)
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Level of complexity:
Number of ingredients:
Pairs well with:
Carrot sticks, pickles, salad, vegetables
Special Kitchen Tools: