Try this easy, savory, salty & sweet combo of caramelized onions and mushrooms baked together with Swaggerty’s Farm Hot Italian Sausage. Served over rice for a meal in minutes!
Hot Italian Sausages with Caramelized Onions & Mushrooms
- Brown sausages over medium heat until done in a large oven safe pan. Remove from pan and drain.
- To same pan, over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Heat until butter melts.
- Add the slivered red onion and cook, stirring a few times, until onions are caramelized and softened.
- Add the mushrooms and toss well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in balsamic vinegar, beef stock & water. Add sun-dried tomatoes slices, herbs, bay leaves, salt & black pepper. Bring to a low boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- While doing the above preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add whole browned sausages back to the pan of vegetables and place in oven to cook for 15 minutes. Sauce will cook down and reduce somewhat.
Baby Bella Mushrooms or Criminis are at most supermarkets these days. You can use white button mushrooms if you cannot find the others.
We used pre-cooked Basmati Rice for this and it was perfect. Long grain and firm. You just heat in the microwave and fluff up.
This is a great make-ahead dish. Double for a crowd.
Serve over your favorite cooked rice.
1 package Swaggerty’s Farm Hot Italian Sausages (19oz)
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, slivered
8 ounces Baby Bella (Crimini) mushrooms, cut into quarters
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
4 cups beef stock
2 cups water
1/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
1 generous Tablespoon Herbs de Provence or Italian seasoning
3 bay leaves
Salt and black pepper
Fresh thyme leaves to garnish
Cooked rice for serving
Level of complexity:
Number of ingredients:
Pairs well with:
Vegetables such as salad greens, steamed broccoli, or steamed spinach
Special Kitchen Tools: