Try a new twist on an old favorite for your next country style breakfast. Delicious, made-from-scratch sour cream biscuits smothered in a hot, creamy, and meaty sausage gravy…, just the way you like it!
Sour Cream Biscuits with Sausage Gravy
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Dump biscuit mix into a large bowl & add cold butter pieces. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter work the butter into the biscuit mix until well incorporated.
- Add sour cream-milk mixture to the dry mix and & until a dough forms. Dump out on a flat work surface dusted with additional biscuit mix.
- Using your hands knead dough together. Flatten and roll out about 1/2 inch thick. Fold over and re-roll until biscuit dough is about 3/4 inch thick.
- Using cutter, cut out as many biscuits as you can. Gather up dough scraps and roll flat and cut out. You will want at least 12 or 14 biscuits.
- Place biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper & bake until golden brown. Remove from oven, brush tops with melted butter.
- Make the gravy while the biscuits are baking: Brown & crumble sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In same skillet with sausage drippings, add the 2 tablespoons butter & melt over medium high heat. Whisk in 1/4 cup flour. Continue to stir with the whisk for about 2-3 minutes. Slowly drizzle, all the while whisking, 2 cups whole milk into the skillet. Turn heat to medium low and cook gravy until thickened, whisking all the time.
- When gravy is thickened add the cooked sausage crumbles to the skillet. Season gravy to taste with salt and pepper.
If gravy gets too thick for your liking, while cooking just add just enough milk to loosen up. If on the other hand the gravy doesn’t get thick enough, then whisk together a couple of teaspoons flour with a bit of milk and whisk into skillet.
Ingredients for biscuits
2 cups of your favorite biscuit mix such as Bisquick + extra for dusting work surface
1 stick cold butter cut into small pieces + 2 more tablespoons melted to brush on biscuit tops after they are cooked
1/2 cup sour cream whisked together with 1/2 cup whole milk
Ingredients for gravy
8 ounces Swaggerty’s Farm Sausage
2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste