A new twist on traditional lasagna! Crispy browned sausage crumbles and onions, fluffy scrambled eggs, spinach, and ricotta cheese between layers of soft lasagna noodles all baked to bubbly golden brown. Switch it up!
- Brown sausage in a skillet breaking into crumbles with a spoon as it cooks. Half way through cooking, add half of the chopped green onions. Cook until sausage is browned and onions are wilted. Turn off heat. Using a slotted spoon remove sausage-onion mix from skillet. Set aside to drain on paper towels. Leave drippings in the pan.
- For the sauce: In the same skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon butter to the drippings and stir until butter melts and blends with the drippings. Whisk the 3 tablespoons flour into the drippings. Stir with the whisk while slowly adding the milk. Cook until mixture begins to thicken. Turn heat to low, continuing to stir while adding nutmeg, salt and black pepper. Sauce should be thickened like traditional gravy with no lumps. Remove from heat. Add the sausage-onion mixture to the sauce and stir to blend. Set aside.
- Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water until “al dente”, not over cooked. Drain and lay out flat on a sheet pan covered until ready to assemble dish.
- Soft scramble 8 eggs with 1 tablespoon butter. Cover and set aside.
- Steam the chopped baby kale and spinach leaves. I do this quickly in a reclosable plastic bag in the microwave. Drain well. Mix the steamed greens, ricotta and thyme together in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Toss together the shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses in a bowl.
- To assemble the lasagna: Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spoon a bit of the sausage-onion sauce over the bottom of the pan and top with 3 cooked lasagna noodles.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce over the noodle layer, top with 1/3 of the shredded mozz-cheddar mix, 1/2 of the ricotta-greens mix and 1/2 of the scrambled eggs. Repeat with another layer of three noodles, 1/3 sausage sauce, 1/3 of the shredded cheeses, remaining ricotta mixture and remaining scrambled eggs. Top with last three lasagna noodles, remaining sauce and shredded cheeses and green onions.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes until mixture is bubbly. Remove foil and continue to bake another 15 minutes. Let lasagna rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
1 lb Swaggerty’s Farm Bulk Sausage
3 chopped green onions, divided
3 Tablespoons butter, divided
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 to 2 1/2 cups milk
generous pinch of ground nutmeg
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
12 Lasagna Noodles
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
5 ounces fresh baby kale leaves, coarsely chopped
5 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 1/2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese